This card has been floating around in my head for months now. It's fun to actually make it up finally. :) There are some changes from what I had envisioned. First, I hadn't originally planned to have the hexagons over quite so much space on the front, but I think I like it this way. Also, I was going to write "It's All the Buzz..." on the front, and even practiced my handwriting for it, but decided it just wouldn't look quite right. Finally, I had intended to do it in Basic Black and Daffodil Delight. But, it was such a fit for the current Paper Players Challenge #115, that I decided to do it in Basic Gray and So Saffron. (I also realized I have So Saffron ribbon and no Daffodil Delight ribbon.) The inside is a light gray cardstock left over from crafts several years ago. It's hard to see in the scans, but the wings on the bee have a slight shimmer from white color Smooch. I think I like the subtler colors; the brighter might be too austere. (Though I might have to try it in those colors just to find out.) It could also work with yellow and a dark brown, I think.
It sort of meets the Paper Players challenge: gray and yellow, includes ribbon as a finishing touch even though it doesn't especially feature it, and one of the two will be used to welcome a new baby to the world (and if that's not birthday, I don't know what is).
Monday, October 1, 2012
There's another card that's been floating around in my head and I hope to make in the next few days. But in the meantime, I was intrigued by the current colourQ challenge. And bonus: I actually have all of the colors this time! Among other things, I was hoping to use down my overabundant supply of Dusty Durango cardstock that I seem to have such a hard time using up. But, no. Turns out it didn't work that way. The only Dusty Durango I managed to fit in was the ink. I used the layout from the current Your Next Stamp Challenge. On one variation, I tried to play up the "worn" look of the Razzleberry Lemonade in the rest of the card, including an attempt at distressing the brads. The other has a more polished look. This was a variation in my first attempt. I didn't like what I had laid out as the straightforward cross in the backdrop, but when I played around with the same pieces, I liked this look.