Tuesday, June 5, 2012

First Challenge Entry!

I've done a couple of sewalongs, but I wasn't blogging about them and only minimally got into the community spirit of the thing. But here I go! Exciting!

First: my cards.


Several of the current challenges inspired me to get started on Father's Day cards. The blue and white cardstock are leftovers from miscellaneous sources. The color of the blue is similar to Stampin' Up's retired "Brilliant Blue." The red is SU's Real Red. The letters are hand-drawn and hand-hewn. The leaves peeking through the first one are from the SU "Bird Punch." (Yes, unfortunately, there's a bit of a one-source theme here for now. In a previous post I referred to a friend's party as the source of this new hobby of mine. Guess what kind of party it was. I'll definitely be working on breaking this single-source trend!)

The basic layout is inspired by the Retrosketches Challenge #14. The colors by the Less Is More Week 70 Challenge. The technique by the Technique Lover's Challenge 380. And finally, it also fits in the current Clean and Simple design challenge.

Huh. That's a lot of hits in two little cards, but I tend to find inspiration in structure.

I love the bits of red peeking out in the first card. I find the second one a bit more interesting, though. I wanted to make the stripe a little thinner and played with several ideas about defining the first "D" when I did that. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. And the dads will forgive my less-than-perfect razor blade skills. :)



4 comments:

  1. Great father's day card! love the red accents in the first card!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great card. Love the leaves showing through the gap. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great cards!
    Super ideas!
    Thanks so much
    Chrissie
    "Less is More"
    If you could remove the Word Verification from your blog it would make commenting much easier for us. THANKS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Super cards, good to see you
    Thank you very much
    mandi
    "Less is More"

    ReplyDelete