Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sewing Catchup

I haven't done much sewing since early pregnancy (she'll be 8 months this week). But at that point I was just starting to take up garment sewing. I had a borrowed machine, an interest in making things that would actually fit me, an unpracticed knowledge of the basics that I learned at my mom's inherited Singer, and a couple of independent pattern makers that were making me gaga. I made a couple of handbags, and then moved on to garments.

Kwik-Sew 3277 in some random knit

Colette Madeleine mini bloomers

Sewaholic Pendrell blouse
I also made a Colette Crepe dress, but that's not fit for photography until I get around to fixing a few goof-ups. And even then may need a design rework (it's VERY blueberry).

I have returned the borrowed sewing machine and am now on a hand-me-down "Simplicity" brand machine. (Anyone know who manufactures/manufactured those? It appears to take Singer needles, fortunately.) I planned lots of projects over the past 16 months, and am hoping finally to jump in again. First for the practical, though: a crib rail teething guard.


Neither the most inspired design, nor elegant execution. But it seems to be perfectly serviceable. I made it with some leftover cotton from the stash with one layer of 100% cotton batting in the middle. I'd tell you more, but it's really pretty roughshod and not worth describing. But she gets to sleep with dragonflies and I got to make up, out of my pretty little head, what I pretend is basic quilting technique.

On the horizon:

several Colette blouses
Sewaholic Renfrew (twice: once to practice and once to replace one of my favorite shirts)
Shorts!

No comments:

Post a Comment